item1
item1

Background information

item1
item1

When the new millenium was approaching the Biddulph Methodist Church decided to do something to celebrate. Amongst the first ideas was to construct a new entrance to the Church. This escalated to fulfilling a need to provide a centre for the whole Biddulph community to use.

Funding and grants were secured and the construction started in 2004 and was completed in 2006. It now has four rooms which are utlised by community groups offering a wide variety of classes, activities and projects.

 

 

The naming of the Victoria Centre

The Victoria Centre took its name from the Victoria Colliery in Biddulph.

The colliery, also named The Black Bull, employed the vast majority of men from Biddulph since it opened in 1850. The colliery was worked for 132 years and closed in 1982.

Not only is the centre named after the colliery but the rooms within have taken their names from the shafts and coal seams worked there.
The Havelock was a mining shaft and Salisbury was the main pumping shaft 240 yards deep. The Bullhurst, Banbury and Winpenny were all coal seams.

item1
item1
DAY TRIPS CONTACT US BIDDULPH WHO'S WHO INTRODUCTION BACKGROUND EVENTS ROOM HIRE